Dr John Strasser
President of St. Clair College
Dr. Strasser began his professional career as a Research Scientist with the Department of Energy, Mines and Resources in Ottawa. After spending more than two decades in the public and private sectors serving in operating and senior management positions in quality controls, energy management and international sales and marketing, he was appointed the President of St. Clair College on August 1, 2000.
His strong leadership skills and breadth of experience in management, science and technology, education, international business and economic development are a tremendous asset to St. Clair College. He has a proven track record as a team builder and in working collaboratively with government, business and educational institutions.
Dr John Strasser has earned a numerous life long accolades in Cape Breton over the years including:
1. President Sydney Steel
2. Founding member of the Board of Directors of New Dawn Enterprises, a community development agency on Cape Breton Island
3. Founding member of the Board of the Atlantic Coal Institute
4. Federally appointed member of the Board of Directors of the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA).
5. Inducted as one of the first four members, into the Wall of Honour at Sydney Academy High School.
6. In 2007, Dr. Strasser was profiled in a book entitled “The House that Sexton Built”, which focuses on the history of engineering education in Nova Scotia.
7. Dr. Strasser has authored two books on the subject of hockey: “Leopards and Lions” (A Parent’s guide to Hockey from Novice to the NHL”), in 1998; and “This is Academy Hockey”, the historical account of Sydney Academy hockey on the occasion of the 150th Year Anniversary of Sydney Academy in 1991.